Campus change

Page content

FAQs about changing to the Columbus campus

  • When can I change to the Columbus campus?
  • You are eligible to enroll in classes on the Columbus campus once you have earned 30 semester hours (post high-school graduation, excluding credit through examination) with a cumulative Ohio State GPA of 2.0 or greater. You can complete the campus-change paperwork with your regional campus advisor during the semester when you anticipate earning your thirtieth credit hour.

    Some colleges require additional college-specific forms, requirements and prerequisite courses to transfer into specific majors. Students who meet campus-change criteria but not college-specific criteria can still change campuses, but may need to be referred to another major.

  • Is there a deadline for changing to the Columbus campus?
  • The priority due date for submission of campus-change paperwork is the fifth Friday of the term prior to the term a student intends to start on the Columbus campus. In some cases, paperwork is accepted after this date. Check with the advisor on your current campus for details.

  • What do I need to do to change to the Columbus campus?
  • Meet with your advisor on your current campus to complete the campus-change form and start the process.

  • How do I find out who my new advisor is?
  • You should be connected to your Columbus campus advisor when working with your academic advisor to finalize the campus-change process. However, once a new advisor has been assigned, you should be able to view this by logging in to My Buckeye Link at

  • Where can I live on the Columbus campus?
  • The Columbus campus has a live-on requirement for first- and second-year students. If you graduated from high school within two calendar years of when you will be starting on the Columbus campus, you are required to live in the residence halls. Other campus-change students are offered housing as space is available but are not required to live on campus.

    For more information about on-campus housing, contact University Housing at or complete the postcard provided by your regional academic advisor. Information will be sent beginning in mid-March to your university email address. Students on the ATI, Mansfield and Newark campuses should contact your campus’s housing coordinator who will make note of your need for housing and communicate that information to University Housing so materials can be emailed to you.

    For assistance in finding off-campus housing or getting situated as a commuting student, check out the resources available through Please note that the leasing season usually begins in November and December for the following academic year.

  • Will it cost more to attend the Columbus campus?
  • Expenses vary between the Columbus and regional campuses. In addition to higher instructional fees on the Columbus campus, other cost variances include mandatory fees such as Student Health Insurance, student activity fee, student union fee, recreation fee and the COTA fee.

    Additional fees that will vary based on individual considerations (college of enrollment, parking needs, etc.) include technology fees, program fees, parking permits and the legal services fee.

    To account for these costs, financial aid budgets are larger on the Columbus campus than at the other campuses; however, these additional costs can still catch campus-change students by surprise.

  • How do I get the associate’s degree?
  • Once you earn 60 hours, with at least 15 earned at a regional campus, you may be eligible to receive your associate's degree. Contact your regional campus advisor to learn more.

  • How do I get Buckeye Alerts?
  • Buckeye Alerts are text message notifications of emergency situations on campus. To sign up to receive Buckeye Alert messages, log in to My BuckeyeLink at and enter your cell phone number in the personal information area. Parents/spouse or others may also sign up to receive Buckeye Alert messages

    Because some students travel between regional campuses and the Columbus campus, you can opt in to receive alerts from multiple campuses. You must first register for Buckeye Alerts before you can opt in to multiple campus messages.